Trouble with 'Migrate Activity Buttons' and Macros Within

Topics related to the TouchControl Server software.
jsu1995

Trouble with 'Migrate Activity Buttons' and Macros Within

Post by jsu1995 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:59 pm

My current scenario:

I'm working on the "Favorite Channels" page for our "Watch U-verse" activity, and I now have one working very well using macro buttons sending the appropriate (4-digit) channel numbers with a 0.5 second (blocking) pause in between each. The problem I'm having happens when it comes time to copy this page to other Locations, and I need to change the associated STB device. I read the manual, and it appears I only need to duplicate the Activity to the desired location, and then use the "Migrate Activity Button" to change the device association (which would include the macros). The manual even emphasizes that this is the perfect scenario where this feature would be used.

My problem is that it doesn't work consistently. I say 'consistently' because it appears to have done it at least once (during my hours of working through it last night).... but now I can't get it to work at all. I started out using STB-2 as the device in my first macros, and early on, I was able to change it to STB-3 in one of the other favorites screens. Sometime, while I was trying to get STB-1 setup at another location, it stopped working, and after fumbling around some more, all four favorites screens now reference STB-3.

I have tried deleting the pages and re-duplicating them. I have tried using different activity names. I have tried restarting the server program, I have also tried restarting the server computer itself.

This is a very important feature of our remote system, so I need to get this figured out. It's the only thing right now that is keeping me from deploying TouchControls on our other devices.... and I really don't want to go through creating duplicate macros on two more STBs... especially when there are over 40 favorite channels each.

Dave
Site Admin

Re: Trouble with 'Migrate Activity Buttons' and Macros Within

Post by Dave » Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:01 pm

Hi jsu1995. Sorry for the trouble and frustration. I believe the problem you are experiencing is due to this offending excerpt from the manual:
You may also specify that you'd like to update all macros in your configuration to replace any references...
This is saying that it will update any macros found anywhere in your config (locations, activities, etc.), not just in the current activity that you are working with, and I think that would explain what you are seeing. The issue is related to the fact that the buttons contained in macros don’t include any specific location/activity information. But if you can give me a couple of days to dig into this, I can revisit it to verify why it was originally done this way and if it can be updated to work more like you are expecting. I would hope to be able to at least get you an initial update by sometime Monday. I’m finishing up a week-long trip and will be traveling all day Sunday.

jsu1995

Post by jsu1995 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:46 pm

Dave wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:01 pm
Hi jsu1995. Sorry for the trouble and frustration. I believe the problem you are experiencing is due to this offending excerpt from the manual:
You may also specify that you'd like to update all macros in your configuration to replace any references...
This is saying that it will update any macros found anywhere in your config (locations, activities, etc.), not just in the current activity that you are working with, and I think that would explain what you are seeing. The issue is related to the fact that the buttons contained in macros don’t include any specific location/activity information. But if you can give me a couple of days to dig into this, I can revisit it to verify why it was originally done this way and if it can be updated to work more like you are expecting. I would hope to be able to at least get you an initial update by sometime Monday. I’m finishing up a week-long trip and will be traveling all day Sunday.
Yeah, it seems to kind of miss the point, if that's the way it is intended to work. I mean, there are other ways to quickly reproduce activities (and devices) themselves, no? I think the macros would be the most tedious to duplicate for similar activities using different devices.

Thanks for looking into this further. I'll look forward to an update early next week. Also, thanks for the quick replies and being so active on these forums, even while on your trip. I was a bit worried that the lack of topics was an indication that the forum might be dead. It's good to see that you are being diligent about responding and helping members.

Dave
Site Admin

Post by Dave » Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:34 pm

You’re welcome. And I would tend to agree with your take on the feature. Hopefully i can get an update fairly soon.

Before moving the web site to the current host, the previous site included an integrated forum. It got a fair amount of traffic, but it was fairly simple and didn’t include near the features of this more standard forum software. But after the move, the traffic dropped off to almost nothing, for whatever reason. Don’t know if it’s because it’s so slow or what. I’m checking with the host to see what can be done about that.

Anyway, thanks and stay tuned...

Dave
Site Admin

Post by Dave » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:26 am

On the download page of the web site you will now find a link for TouchControl Server v. 9.3.11 for Windows. This version updates the macro handling for the Migrate Activity Buttons tool to only update the button referenced within macros in the new device with the new device name, and it should update them all, not only the ones that are physically placed on your activity layout. Please let me know your experience with this. Thanks!

jsu1995

Post by jsu1995 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:02 am

Excellent work!

I was just able to duplicate three separate activities and migrate to three different STBs. Thanks for the quick update!