Spinner (Numeric:0-9) Not Working...?

Topics related to the TouchControl Server software.
jsu1995

Spinner (Numeric:0-9) Not Working...?

Post by jsu1995 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:41 am

First off, I'm very new to TouchControl... I have been using iRule for a couple of years now, and am now looking for a new app. I'm still at the base of what will likely be a large learning curve, but I'll try not to post every little question I have without doing proper research first.

This question involves the Spinner composite button feature. I have successfully created a Spinner that allows selecting different commands using the 'Buttons' option, but when I try to make one using the 'Numeric:0-9' option, I just get a blank spinner with the 'GO' bar. I need 4 sections, but I have tried many configurations to test, but I can't get anything to work.

Is there possibly some other setting I'm missing, or is this a known bug?

Dave
Site Admin

Re: Spinner (Numeric:0-9) Not Working...?

Post by Dave » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:03 pm

There is not a known bug with getting the sections with numbers to show up in the spinner on the iOS device. The only requirement should be that the device you select for the spinner must have buttons named "0" through "9" in it. But it will look for those and notify you if it doesn't find them. I just tested with the Mac and Windows server and it looks like it is working for me - I am seeing the numeric values show up in the spinner on the phone. Can you tell me what the button types are for the 0-9 buttons?

There is, however, a known bug that will affect the execution of the commands from a 0-9 spinner when using the Mac server. With the current version it will only send the command for the last spinner section (if there are multiple sections). This should be fixed with a new Mac server version in the next couple of days. The Windows server should work properly.

sfatula

Post by sfatula » Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:52 pm

Hello jsu1995, good to see you here. I have not had the issue you are having, has worked for me. I am probably 25% through my old iRule conversion, long way to go, but I have to say I already know that everything I did in iRule can be done in TC. And, a lot more!

The issue of course is the learning curve. No matter what product any of us convert to, we'll have to learn it. Fortunately, we have a long time to get there.

I am hoping we can all share activities as our projects are completed so that a library can be built up for others to use (as existed in iRule) as they also look for solutions. I'll be sharing mine as they are completed.

My devices are:

Pioneer SC-55 with extensive feedback
Dish Network Hopper via iTach
Sony BDP-S790 BluRay via iTach
Kodi with feedback
Eventghost
ATV4
Insteon lighting and switch control with feedback
Epson 6020UB prijector via iTach serial with feedback
Panamax MB1500UPS with feedback
Carrier Infinity that I probably can't easily share since it uses a local program to scrape the carrier website to get data

I hope to share all of those when completed. I've already done proof of concept on all major techniques involved.

jsu1995

Post by jsu1995 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:02 pm

Dave wrote:
Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:03 pm
There is not a known bug with getting the sections with numbers to show up in the spinner on the iOS device. The only requirement should be that the device you select for the spinner must have buttons named "0" through "9" in it. But it will look for those and notify you if it doesn't find them. I just tested with the Mac and Windows server and it looks like it is working for me - I am seeing the numeric values show up in the spinner on the phone. Can you tell me what the button types are for the 0-9 buttons?

There is, however, a known bug that will affect the execution of the commands from a 0-9 spinner when using the Mac server. With the current version it will only send the command for the last spinner section (if there are multiple sections). This should be fixed with a new Mac server version in the next couple of days. The Windows server should work properly.
I am running a Windows server and controlling via an iPhone X. I also tried on an iPhone 5, and it has the same issue.

I already covered the naming of the buttons (I got the warning and renamed them accordingly at that time). The button types I'm using are 'Global Cache' (iTach) commands to a U-verse (Cisco) STB. The individual buttons are working correctly on the remote and I even have some macros 'channel' buttons that sequence the associate channel numbers; each also working correctly.

It's good to know that you have tested it and verified there's no issue, but now I need to figure out what I'm doing wrong. It seems like such a straight forward set-up, so I'm not exactly sure what else it could be.

Dave
Site Admin

Post by Dave » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:44 pm

Tested both Windows and Mac servers on my end and seem to be working fine. If you want, if you have a simple activity that is exhibiting the problem, you can export the activity using Tools/Export Configuration/Activities in the server, and send me the resulting .zip file and I can import and test the exact same thing you are using to see if I can determine what the problem is. If you'd like to do that, just send the export file to support@touchapptech.com.

jsu1995

Post by jsu1995 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:19 pm

Thanks for the quick responses. I may take you up on that offer of sending a file at a later time, but the spinner was just a neat feature I was testing out. Right now, I'm super frustrated with another issue that I'm having... which is more crucial to getting my remote up and operating for the family.
I'll post a seperate topic for it.