Another type of GUI control

Topics related to the TouchControl Server software.
sfatula

Another type of GUI control

Post by sfatula » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:28 pm

It would be nice to be able to use another type of GUI control instead of spinner and slider. A rotating knob, say like that on an AV receiver. Functionally, it would be the same. It's just a way to represent a volume knob or similar concept and would just look good.

Spinners seem bad for that and you can't (apparently) change how they look, so, they may not fit in with the design one is using. Sliders are ok, but, not the best way to represent (for me at least) a volume control. I also have difficulty with it being rotated 90 degrees and still showing correctly in the client. I want a vertical slider. It works, but, when I replace the images with custom, it displays in odd ways and I have yet been able to get it to display ok. Would prefer a knob style, but not super important obviously. I'd take a vertical slider if I can ever get it to work.

Dave
Site Admin

Re: Another type of GUI control

Post by Dave » Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:56 am

The rotating Gesture Pad button was designed specifically for this purpose. Here is an example of one in action. This one uses a translucent button with a small "divot" to indicate the rotation, as a minimalist approach. But you can really use whatever image you want to make it look like any knob you can imagine. This one controls the volume on a Denon receiver, and the volume level shown on the knob is actual live feedback from the receiver.

Dave
Site Admin

Post by Dave » Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:17 am

And Here is a simple vertical slider. You can customize it with custom bar and thumb images, and of course some work needs to go into making it actually control something...

sfatula

Post by sfatula » Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:04 am

The rotating gesture pad might be what I want, did not see that option. Will have to play with it.

A vertical slider certainly works, however, getting the images to work right has been a challenge. I think I finally got that working. I kind of like the wait until I release to send a single command. I'll have to play with the gesture pad to see how quickly or how well I can control the volume given the way it works, it may be even better than the vertical volume slider I designed.

Kudos! The options are great!

sfatula

Post by sfatula » Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:01 am

On a gesture pad button, the manual does not say what "tolerance" does, setting it to a 1 seems to make it jump in steps or something like that.

What I am wondering is if there is some setting to make it go faster. My volume goes from 0 to 185. It takes a LONG time to go from 0 to 185 with my gesture control. I kind of like this for volume, but, would be nice to have it go faster.

I tried "Use swipe velocity" but that seemed to have no effect at all. In fact, it seems like the faster I rotate, the slower the volume changes. Maybe that's the idea?

Dave
Site Admin

Post by Dave » Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:51 am

The tolerance setting is how far the gesture pad is rotated before it executes the button assigned to that rotation direction. So a higher number allows you to rotate more freely while sending fewer commands, and a smaller number sends commands at a higher rate during rotation. For volume, I prefer a higher tolerance, so that it doesn’t ramp up the volume too fast. I honestly don’t know the outer limits of my receiver’s volume control, but I live in the -25db to -40db range and rarely venture outside of that.

Nocko!

Post by Nocko! » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:27 pm

Hello Dave,
hello sfatula - nice to see you here!

I think I would also favor for a gesture pad / volume knob instead of a slider. Indeed this can be critical if you have to send 185 commands to have volume control. For those of us who can use discrete volume commands (e.g. set volume to 32dB) it would be nice to give us the option to assign those commands to a gesture pad. This would give us from my point of view the perfect volume control.
As another alternative I would also appreciate a mechanism like you have already implied with the sliders where we can enter a value for each step the slider is moved.

Or is there a way to create this with a script?
Nocko!

P.S.: @Dave - We already discussed this in our mails, when you helped me with the settings of the server on MacOS and created the uograde, which works great. Thank you!

sfatula

Post by sfatula » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:36 pm

Hello Nocko!

I have the rotating "gesture pad" working well for my volume knob, so much better than the iRule one as it makes more sense and you don't have to define each and every individual volume level command.

Trying to experiment with a few different new features, the grid button feature might be useful!

Loving TC thus far.

wallace4793

Post by wallace4793 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:41 pm

Hi,

Ive a feeling lots of irulers will be over here soon. My thread on their page has lots of people showing an interest :-) . The problem I have is Im not a scripter (zero idea). It took me a few weeks and months to learn the variables and feedbacks on irule so Im going to need some intense help on here.

I also like the app and server and find it surprising that there is so little activity and members? Seems like Dave is running the show on his own :D

I want to be able to create some kodi feedbacks and some for my home automation, but ill wait until some others from irule migrate over to help me :D

John

sfatula

Post by sfatula » Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:38 am

Hi Wallace, I’ll be able to help you once I get to the Kodi part. Have you looked at the examples here?

http://www.touchapptech.com/download

I am sure we’ll start sharing some stuff as time goes on. Lots of features here that iRule did not have.