Keyboard functionality on iPad

Topics related to the TouchControl Server software.
fxwegr

Keyboard functionality on iPad

Post by fxwegr » Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:56 pm

How can i send keystrokes and keyboard shortcuts/commands from my iPad to applications/windows on my computer. In the activity options I have set the Mouse/Keyboard option on, but without any effect.

Have I to create a complete keyboard layout for my own, or is there a better way?

Dave
Site Admin

Re: Keyboard functionality on iPad

Post by Dave » Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:43 pm

Hello! Thanks for posting. The "mouse/keyboard" option in the activity config will place a mouse icon on the right side of the navigation bar when viewing that activity on your device. Tapping that icon will display a built-in mousepad with several built-in keyboard functions across the top. The keystroke functionality of this keyboard is implemented as a text field that allows you to type freeform text, and then send that text to your PC by tapping a "Send" button. Other keyboard functions (like cut, copy, paste, etc.) are sent directly when the buttons are tapped.

This keyboard functionality works fine for most simple keyboard needs, but if you want more of a conventional keyboard with a standard keyboard layout that sends keystrokes as you type and includes the full set of Windows keys, this requires a custom activity layout, and the download page on the web site contains exactly that. If you download and import the "PC Keyboards" sample activity, this will display a fully functional keyboard using the AutoHotKey feature of TouchControl and TouchControl Server. (Note that AutoHotKey is an in-app upgrade, located in the Upgrades option of settings within the TouchControl app on your device.) Using AutoHotKey makes this type of activity extremely easy to create, and more importantly, allows you to completely customize it to suit your needs. This sample activity contains pretty much all keys from a full Windows keyboard, and includes a slide-out mousepad as well. But if you want the keys re-arranged, or only a subset of the keys, or some additional keys that it doesn't include, you can easily add them yourself. You can even create your own custom keys that do just about anything you can imagine using AutoHotKey scripts - such as activating a specific window/application and sending it commands/keystrokes - something that you can't do with most hardware keyboards.

I hope this helps, and if you give this a try and have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Enjoy!

fxwegr

Post by fxwegr » Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:14 pm

Hi Dave,
thanks for your support. Yes I have questions.

Cheking the "mouse/keyboard" option in the activity config unfortunately does not place always a mouse icon on the right side of the navigation bar of my iPad.

Under circumstances which I can not understand, sometimes an mouse icon is displayed on the navigation bar. If I click on the icon, I can use the mouse/keyboard functions described by you. This is exactly what I need.

But: Leaving the mouse/keyboard functions the icon disappears. So I can only use these functions only once.
What is wrong?

Dave
Site Admin

Post by Dave » Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:07 pm

I apologize there is an issue that is causing the mouse button to not always appear. I will be submitting an update to the app today to fix that, so hopefully should be in the app store in the next couple days. Thanks for reporting that.