[Legacy] How can I control my Samsung TV without buying more stuff?

Dave
Site Admin

[Legacy] How can I control my Samsung TV without buying more stuff?

Post by Dave » Sun Dec 20, 2015 9:52 pm

Original post by: SimonKnight

Hi
Did anyone ever get anywhere with programming a Samsung TV over the network? I've got a UE46H7000 and i want to control the input source but its effectively stateless and to make matters worse the input sources dissapear and reappear as they are turned on and off.
I thought that TCP controls might provide salvation and found this
http://sc0ty.pl/2012/02/samsung-tv-netw ... -protocol/
But i've got very little idea to implement it in TouchControl and/or if it will get me what i want
Any thoughts appreciated
Simon
September 28, 2015 at 2:50 PM Edit Delete Flag Quote & Reply

Midnight
Limited Member
I searched again and all of the installers are still moaning that Power ON is missing. The observation is that the TV's CPU is shut down when the TV is in standby. However, we know that this cannot be completely accurate because some sort of processor is required to respond to IR commands. Yet, this document on Samsung's site suggests that a Power ON command is possible. It's not clear to me that LYNC_SINC operates over the LAN or RF connection. There is a glimmer of hope here.
September 29, 2015 at 8:06 AM Edit Delete Flag Quote & Reply

SimonKnight
Limited Member
Don't care about ON. Happy to issue that over IR which works fine. However to be able to have any attempt at selecting an input source I need to task the TV what it thnks its on at the moment (I think) and the above link implies that the TCP commands gets a response.....
September 29, 2015 at 11:29 AM Edit Delete Flag Quote & Reply

Midnight
Limited Member
If I dig around I can find direct input IR commands for the recent Samsungs. Remote Central is a good source as is the new Touch Control IR library. I would prefer IP commands because attaching an IR emitter to a TV is stressful. (And one must hope that the cleaning person does not knock it off)
September 29, 2015 at 12:00 PM Edit Delete Flag Quote & Reply

SimonKnight
Limited Member
If anyone cares I achieved what I wanted just using IR Codes. Interesting the excellent feature of directly accessing the Global Cache "ControlTower" IR database led me to a set of IR codes for the Samsung TV that allows direct selection of input sources that the actualy remote controls that ship with the TV can't emit!
The link I initially gave above is for earlier model TVs and not relevant any more. The more recent Samsuing TVs appear to have an even more complex protocol for direct TCP control. It must be possible though as there a number of 3rd party apps on iStore that can do it. Hoever I don't need it any more...
October 3, 2015 at 12:28 PM Edit Delete Flag Quote & Reply

Midnight
Limited Member
Glad you got results.

The Global Caché datbase is reasonably complete. I've had experience with this database before Global Caché started using it and there are some disadvantages that one needs to learn to work with. Each codeset covers a broad range of models. For example, codeset WXYZ might cover all 2015 models of manufacturer ABC, however model 'A' might not support a particular IR command, such as a surround mode or an HDMI8 because model 'A' only has five HDMI inputs and ten surround modes while model 'B' supports eight HDMI inputs and twenty surround modes.