Mac Version of the program

Dieter

Mac Version of the program

Post by Dieter » Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:41 pm

I like the program very much and it would be great if a Mac version would be available. Is it possible?

Dave
Site Admin

Re: Mac Version of the program

Post by Dave » Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:56 am

Hi Dieter. Thanks for the kind words. I understand the question, and believe me, I get the irony of an iOS app requiring a Windows PC to work. And I also know that TouchControl will never get the love form Apple as long as it doesn't work with a Mac. I had a whole history of TouchControl written up here explaining where the Windows angle came from, and deleted it. None of it really answered the question of "is it possible". The short answer is, yes, of course it's possible. The real answer is, probably not any time soon. I'm an independent developer - i.e. I have a "real" job and not nearly as many cycles as I'd like to devote to TouchControl. Those of you out there that I've had more than a couple of interactions with know that I do most of my development and support of TC well after the rest of humanity has gone to sleep (like right now!). And after 6 years of piling feature after feature into TouchControl and TouchControl Server, it feels like I'm farther than ever away from being able to port it to a new platform. Does that mean it will never happen? Certainly not. I don't plan to quit on TouchControl any time soon. I don't make a living from TouchControl (far from it), but I also don't do it for that. I love the creativity side of it, I love the challenges, and I love working with people all over the world (literally!) who have plunked down their hard earned $7 USD to try out something that I created from scratch, and many of whom have taken it WAY farther than I ever imagined it could go.

Sorry, still too much useless info for you. I keep telling myself after every new release, "okay, it's pretty much done now, so now I can look at that Mac server". Well, I'm now working on a new version of TC with voice recognition capabilities, so you can control your world by just talking to you phone. Didn't think I'd be doing that a month ago, but things happen and priorities change, and that's how cool stuff comes about.

Anyway, I'm actually getting the Mac question more and more these days (as you can imagine), so at some point I'm going to have to bite the bullet and just do it, no matter what else suffers for it. But unfortunately I don't know when that will be and can't make any guarantees.

But again, thanks for being a TouchControl user!

Dave

Midnight

Post by Midnight » Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:08 pm

I don't want to get into a Mac vs PC bashing contest. I believe that Dave uses Parallels on his own system. To me, this a decent solution for running TC server on a Mac.

Opening a second native platform would dilute Dave's efforts because additional time would be expended retaining parity between the two TC server platforms. This would be time taken away from adding and improving TC features.

The BIG players control competition because they burn the competition's development time by constantly changing the BIG platform. The smaller players must take time away from their own product development in order to respond to these changes.

If a second platform is opened, my vote is for an Android run time. Unfortunately, since many of the TC features are so closely tied to underlying iOS features, not all of the features could directly translate to Android. As a professional who would like to support both platforms, I would want to be able to share a common TC configuration between the two platforms. The result would be that, over time, TC would morph into a "safe" feature set that is common to the two platforms, rather than exploiting unique the features of each. There would be a trade-off between rich feature set and cross platform compatibility.

Dave
Site Admin

Post by Dave » Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:53 am

True story. I do use Parallels on my Macbook Pro to run Windows. I even do all of my Windows/TouchControl Server development on my Macbook running Windows 10 64-bit under Parallels. I've found that it actually runs faster than the fairly decked-out Windows laptop that I was using, and I"m no longer bouncing back and forth between two laptops. Love it!